- Athletics Sports Programme
NCEA Level 2
Year 12 is an important year in the schooling of students. It is the year when students really start opting for subjects and gaining qualifications in an area they would like to continue to train or work upon leaving school. In Year 12, students should be aiming to pass all their subjects with their best marks possible and ensure they can take the subjects they want at Level 3. The students have many opportunities to excel in a range of areas and situations.
For the top academic students in the accelerate programme, the opportunity to take a Level 3 NCEA course is presented if their Year 11 marks are up to it. This enables them a broader selection of subjects when they reach Year 13, or the chance to undertake some first year University papers.
There are other opportunities at Year 12 which helps to provide the boys' with practical experience through the Gateway and Star programmes. These boys get out into the work place for one day a week and get to train and get a 'taste' of what it is like and what is required in a range of trades and profession's. Year 12 students' will also have the opportunity to partake in the recreation programme which gives students the opportunity to add â€˜balance' to what can be a very busy time.
At Year 12 and to enter Level 2, students are required to gain 80 Level 1 credits. Once they have these and gained NCEA Level 1 they are entitled to wear a Black School jersey, which is an indication of their achievement. In Level 2, 20 credits are carried over from Level 1 and 60 more are required to gain entry to Level 3. Of these, 14 Maths are required to gain numeracy (from Level 1) and 8 English credits (from Level 2) are required for literacy. These are essential to have before leaving school. Universities are also looking at the level in which credits are achieved in deciding who gets accepted into their courses, thus making this a very important year.
The following subjects are on offer in Year 12:
- Sciences - Biology, Chemistry, Electronics, Physics, Horticulture
- English Studies - English, Alternate English, Classical Studies, Media Studies
- Social Sciences - Geography, History
- Arts - Drama, Music, Design, Painting, Photography, Art History
- Commerce - Accounting, Business Enterprise, Economics
- Languages - French, German, Japanese, Te Reo Maori, Latin
- Technology - Building & Furniture, Construction, Mechanical Engineering, Graphics
- Physical Education Studies - Physical Education Studies, Sports Science
- Maths - Maths
- Gateway / Star - Gateway & Star courses